South Indian Vegetarian Beginner's Cooking Class (BYOB)
San Mateo, CA, United States
This event is available only at the host's venue. Please book from the available dates listed.
2 - 100 Guest(s)
Its a hands on cooking and learning with Chef Veena. You will get to learn, cook and enjoy your tasty creation and might even have some to take home too.
Here is the menu you will be learning to cook for this class:
- Potato Bonda- Curried mashed potato balls deep fried with gluten free chick pea batter paste.
- Bisibelebath- This is one pot rice dish which has protein from letnils, lot of vegetables, spices, tamarind to make it tangy and delicious and garnished with nuts and curry leaves in Ghee (Clarified butter)
- Onion Raita/Thayir Pachadi- Indian version of the Tzatziki sauce with Onion and Cilantro to help cool your palate.
- Sorakkai Kootu- Chopped Opo squash cooked in coconut spice gravy and cooked lentils and garnished with seasonings and Curry leaves
- Sweet Potato Curry- Healthy and nutritious chopped sweet potato cooked to perfection with just the right amount of spices.
- Semia Kesari- A unique yet simple dessert made with vermicelli, sugar and cardamom and garnish with cashews and raisins.
Also Served For Dinner:
- Coconut Chutney
Course Menus –
Each person will leave with a spice kit as well as a cook book containing
each of the demonstrated dishes as well as some bonus recipes. Also feel free to bring yourown beer or wine to enjoy during the class!
* Share this page on Facebook and earn 25 points. Accumulate up to 500 points!
This experience does not have pre-scheduled availability! Message Host to schedule a future event.
Chef Veena Narayanan.K is a Chef/ Owner of Kamakshi's Kitchen, vegetarian restaurant in San Carlos (601 Old County rd, San Carlos, CA 94070, www.kamakshiskitchen.com). Her catering kitchen is located in San Mateo. She also has another sister company called 'www.Mealboxesetc.com' which does corporate catering and specialize in Vegetarian and Non-Vegetarian dishes from around the world.
She has a MA in English Literature and Diploma in Homeopathy medicine. She did her diploma in Culinary arts at Jobtrainworks.org in Palo Alto and has worked as a Global chef @ Ebay. She also does event planning, wedding and religious catering and conduct cooking classes. Kamakshi's kitchen catering serves all over the bay area and they became popular with the innovative concept of'Vegetarian Dinner at your doorsteps' from 2010.
She has been in the Culinary field for more than 15yrs now. She realized her passion for serving people and helping them learn about cooking when she was helping out as a Volunteer at Tibetan aid project in Berkeley 15 years ago. She also helped with the community betterment project at East Palo Alto in educating people about the benefits of home cooking and being frugal about it.
Since lot of people were interested in learning about Indian food she started conducting cooking classes. Her unique, hand on approach and knowledge of spices and its use in her cooking has helped lot of people realize their inner potential and has made them great cooks.