InstQuest, Inc. (hereinafter referred to as "Verlocal", "we", "us" or "our") operates a platform and community marketplace that helps people form offline experiences and relationships directly with one another, where they can create, list, discover and book unique experiences and activities around the world, whether through our website or our mobile applications ("Platform"). Verlocal refers to InstQuest Inc.
"Aggregated Information" means information about all of our users or specific groups or categories of users that we combine together so that it no longer identifies or references an individual user.
"Data Controller" means Verlocal, the company responsible for the use and processing of Personal Information.
"Personal Information" means information relating to a living individual who is or can be identified either from that information or from that information in conjunction with other information that is in, or is likely to come into, the possession of the Data Controller.
WHAT TYPES OF INFORMATION DOES VERLOCAL GATHER ABOUT ITS USERS?
1. Information that you give us
We receive, store and process information that you make available to us when accessing or using our Platform and Services. Examples include when you
1. fill in any form on the Platform, such as when you register or update the details of your user account, or when you supply ID verification information;
2. access or use the Platform, such as to search for or post Experiences, make or accept bookings, pay for Experiences, book or pay for any associated services that may be available, post comments or reviews, or communicate with other users;
3. link your account on a third party site (e.g. Facebook) to your Verlocal account, in which case we will obtain the Personal Information that you have provided to the third party site, to the extent allowed by your settings with the third party site and authorized by you; and
4. communicate with Verlocal.
2. Mobile Data
When you use certain features of the Platform, in particular our mobile applications, we may receive, store, and process different types of information about your location, including general information (e.g., IP address, zip code) and more specific information (e.g., GPS-based functionality on mobile devices used to access the Platform or specific features of the platform). If you access the Platform through a mobile device and you do not want your device to provide us with location-tracking information, you can disable the GPS or other location-tracking functions on your device, provided your device allows you to do this. See your device manufacturer's instructions for further details.
3. Log Data
We may also receive, store and process Log Data, which is information that is automatically recorded by our servers whenever you access or use the Platform, regardless of whether you are registered with Verlocal or logged in to your Verlocal account, such as your IP Address, the date and time you access or use the Platform, the hardware and software you are using, referring and exit pages and URLs, the number of clicks, pages viewed and the order of those pages, and the amount of time spent on particular pages.
4. Cookies and other Tracking Technologies
While you may disable the usage of cookies through your browser settings, we do not change our practices in response to a "Do Not Track" signal in the HTTP header from your browser or mobile application. We track your activities if you click on advertisements for Verlocal services on third party platforms such as search engines and social networks, and may use analytics to track what you do in response to those advertisements.
5. Third-party social plugins
Our Platform may use social plugins which are provided and operated by third-party companies, such as Facebook's Like Button.
HOW VERLOCAL USES AND PROCESSES THE INFORMATION THAT YOU PROVIDE OR MAKE AVAILABLE
We use, store and process Information about you for the following general purposes
1. to enable you to access and use the Platform;
2. to operate, protect, improve and optimize the Platform, Verlocal's business, and our users' experience, such as to perform analytics, conduct research, personalize or otherwise customize your experience, and for advertising and marketing;
3. to help create and maintain a trusted and safer environment on the Platform and Services, such as fraud detection and prevention, conducting investigations and risk assessments, verifying the address of your listings, verifying any identifications provided by you, and conducting checks against databases such as public government databases;
4. to send you service, support and administrative messages, reminders, technical notices, updates, security alerts, and information requested by you;
5. where we have your consent, to send you marketing and promotional messages and other information that may be of interest to you, including information about Verlocal or general promotions for partner campaigns and services. You can unsubscribe or opt-out from receiving these communications in your settings (in the "Account" section) when you login to your Verlocal account;
6. to administer referral programs, rewards, surveys, sweepstakes, contests, or other promotional activities or events sponsored or managed by Verlocal or our business partners; and
7. to comply with our legal obligations, resolve any disputes that we may have with any of our users, and enforce our agreements with third parties.
HOW VERLOCAL USES AND PROCESSES USER COMMUNICATIONS
We may, either directly or through third party companies and individuals we engage to provide services to us, review, scan, or analyze your communications with other users exchanged via the Platform for fraud prevention, risk assessment, regulatory compliance, investigation, product development, research, and customer support purposes. For example, as part of our fraud prevention efforts, the Platform may scan and analyze messages to mask contact information and references to other websites. This helps to prevent fraudulent actors from asking Guests to send them money outside of the Platform, such as by bank transfer or other money transfer methods. We may also scan, review or analyze messages for research and product development purposes to help make search, booking and user communications more efficient and effective, as well as to debug, improve and expand product offerings. We will not review, scan, or analyze your communications for sending third party marketing messages to you. We will also not sell these reviews or analyses of communications to third parties. We will also use automated methods to carry out these reviews or analyses where reasonably possible. However, from time to time we may have to manually review some communications. By using the Platform, you consent that Verlocal, in its sole discretion, may, either directly or through third party companies and individuals we engage to provide services to us, review, scan, analyze, and store your communications, whether done manually or through automated means.
WHEN VERLOCAL DISCLOSES OR SHARES PERSONAL INFORMATION, AND TO WHOM
IMPORTANT: When you use the Platform, your data may be sent to the United States and possibly other countries
We may transfer, store, use and process your information, including any Personal Information, to countries outside of the European Economic Area ("EEA") including the United States. Please note that laws vary from jurisdiction to jurisdiction, and so the privacy laws applicable to the places where your information is transferred to or stored, used or processed in, may be different from the privacy laws applicable to the place where you are resident.
Your Personal Information may be disclosed as follows:
1.Parts of your public profile page that contain some Personal Information may be displayed in other parts of the Platform to other users for marketing purposes or to the extent necessary to operate and manage referral and rewards programs.
2. Your public Listing page will always include some minimum information such as the city and neighborhood where the Experience is located, your listing description, your calendar availability, your public profile photo, and your responsiveness in replying to Guests' queries. Your public Listing page may also include aggregated demand information (such as number of page views over a period of time). Parts of your public Listing page may be displayed in other parts of the Platform to other users for marketing purposes. The Platform may also display the Experience's approximate geographic location on a map, such that a user can see the general area of the Experience.
3. The Platform allows your public profile and public Listing pages to be included in search engines, in which case your public profile and public Listing pages will be indexed by search engines and may be published as search results. We do not control the practices of third-party search engines, and they may use caches containing outdated information, including any information indexed by the search engine before you change the information on your public profile or public Listing pages.
4. When you submit a request to book an Experience, your full name will become visible to the Host. In addition, if you have added your phone number to your account, you may be contacted by the Host by phone when submitting your request. We will not share your phone number unless you have requested to book the Experience; if there is a request or a confirmed booking, your phone number will become visible to the Host/Guest, who may call you directly.
5. When your request to book an Experience is accepted by the Host or when you accept a Guest's request to book your Experience, we will disclose some of your Personal Information to the Host or Guest. However, your billing and payout information will never be shared with another user.
6. When a Guest takes your Experience or when you take a Host's Experience, we may ask you to review the Guest/Host or the Experience. If you choose to provide a review, your review may be public on the Platform.
7. You may link your account on a third party social networking site to your Verlocal account. We refer to a person's contacts on these third party sites as "Friends". When you create this linkage
– some of the information you provide to us from the linking of your accounts may be published on your Verlocal account profile;
– your activities on the Platform may be displayed to your Friends on the Platform and/or that third party site;
– other Verlocal users may be able to see any common Friends that you may have with them, or that you are a Friend of their Friend if applicable;
– other Verlocal users may be able to see any schools, hometowns or other groups you have in common with them as listed on your linked social networking site(s); and
– the information you provide to us from the linking of your accounts may be stored, processed and transmitted for fraud prevention and risk assessment purposes
8. The publication and display of information that you provide to Verlocal through this linkage is subject to your settings and authorizations on the Platform and the third party site.
9. We may distribute parts of the Platform (including your Listing) for display on sites operated by Verlocal's business partners and affiliates, using technologies such as HTML widgets. If and when your Listings are displayed on a partner's site, information from your public profile page may also be displayed.
11. We may also engage third party companies and individuals, who may be located outside of the EEA, to provide services to us, including but not limited to technology services and services to help verify your identification, to conduct checks against databases such as public government databases (where legally allowed), to otherwise assist us with fraud prevention and risk assessment, to assist us with customer service, and to facilitate the payments or reimbursements you request (such as Braintree, PayPal, and American Express). We may provide Personal Information about you to these third parties, or give them access to this Personal Information, for the limited purpose of allowing them to provide these services. We will ensure that such third parties have contractual obligations to protect this Personal Information and to not use it for unrelated purposes.
12. If necessary, Hosts and Guests expressly grant us permission, without further notice, to store, transfer and disclose data and other information relating to them or to their Transactions, Bookings, Experiences, and Taxes, including, but not limited to, personally identifiable information such as Host or Guest's name, addresses, transaction dates and amounts, tax identification number(s), the amount of taxes received by Hosts from Guests, or allegedly due, contact information, and similar information, to the relevant Tax Authority.
– providing notice is prohibited by the legal process itself, by court order we receive, or by applicable law; or
– based on information supplied by law enforcement, we, in our sole discretion, believe: (a) that providing notice could create a risk of injury or death to an individual or group of individuals, (b) that the case involves potential harm to minors, or (c) that harm or fraud could be directed to Verlocal, its Members, the Platform, or Services.
We may also publish, disclose and use Aggregated Information and non-personal information for industry and market analysis, demographic profiling, marketing and advertising, and other business purposes.
BUSINESS TRANSFERS BY VERLOCAL
HOW TO CHANGE OR DELETE YOUR INFORMATION, OR CANCEL YOUR VERLOCAL ACCOUNT
You may review, update, correct or delete the Personal Information in your Verlocal account. If you would like to correct your information or cancel your Verlocal account entirely, you can do so by logging in to your account. Please also note that any reviews, forum postings and similar materials posted by you may continue to be publicly available on the Platform in association with your name, even after your Verlocal account is cancelled.
SECURING YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
We are continuously implementing and updating administrative, technical, and physical security measures to help protect your Personal Information against unauthorized access, destruction, or alteration. However, no method of transmission over the Internet, and no method of storing electronic information, can be 100% secure. So, we cannot guarantee the absolute security of your transmissions to us and of your Personal Information that we store.
YOUR PRIVACY WHEN YOU ACCESS THIRD-PARTY WEBSITES AND RESOURCES
The Platform provides a referral service that allows you to invite your friends and contacts to use the Platform.
We may integrate the Platform with third party sites such as Facebook, so that you can send invitation messages or requests for references via the third party site itself. These messages will be sent by the third party site, and Verlocal does not collect or retain the contact information that is used to send them.
You may also send invitation/request emails via the Platform itself, in which case we will ask you for the contact information to which to send your invitation/request. You can type in the email addresses or other contact information manually, or you can choose to import the contacts in your address book(s). In both cases, we may use and store this information for the sole purposes of allowing you to send your friends and contacts an invitation or request for a reference, and for fraud detection and prevention. With respect to referrals, we will also store the email addresses of your invitees to track if your friend joins Verlocal in response to your referral.
If you request us to import your contacts, we will collect, but not store, the username and password for the email account you wish to import your contacts from. We will use this information only for the purpose of importing your contacts.
he Platform may allow registered account holders to participate in online discussion forums ("Forum(s)") in selected cities.
If you post on a Forum, then your membership in the Forum as well as some of your public information (such as your profile picture and public profile page) will be visible to users who browse the Forum. Your postings will be visible to such users as well.
Verlocal uses "cookies" in conjunction with the Platform to obtain information. A cookie is a small data file that is transferred to your device (e.g., your phone or your computer) for record-keeping purposes. For example, a cookie could allow the Platform to recognize your browser, while another could store your preferences and other information. Your browser may allow you to set how it handles cookies, such as declining all cookies or prompting you to decide whether to accept each cookie. But please note that some parts of the Platform may not work as intended or may not work at all without cookies.
Verlocal cookies and third party cookies
Session cookies will normally expire when you close your browser, while persistent cookies will remain on your device after you close your browser, and can be used again the next time you access the Platform.
The Platform may also use other technologies with similar functionality to cookies, such as web beacons and tracking URLs to obtain Log Data about users. We may also use web beacons and tracking URLs in our messages to you to determine whether you have opened a certain message or accessed a certain link.
Uses for Verlocal cookies
1. to enable, facilitate and streamline the functioning of the Platform across different webpages and browser sessions.
2. to simplify your access to and use of the Platform and make it more seamless.
3. to monitor and analyze the performance, operation and effectiveness of the Platform, so that we can improve and optimize it.
4. to show you content (which may include advertisements) that is more relevant to you.
Uses for third party cookies
Most browsers automatically accept cookies, but you can modify your browser setting to decline cookies by visiting the Help portion of your browser's toolbar. If you choose to decline cookies, please note that you may not be able to sign in, customize, or use some of the interactive features of the Platform. Flash cookies operate differently than browser cookies, and cookie management tools available in a web browser will not remove flash cookies. To learn more about how to manage flash cookies, you can visit the Adobe website (http://www.adobe.com/) and make changes at the Global Privacy Settings Panel (http://www.macromedia.com/support/documentation/en/flashplayer/help/settings_manager02.html).