Learn how to make this wholesome and delicious dish that can be eaten for breakfast, supper or as a snack - and goes well with a cucumber Raita (spiced yogurt condiment with veggies or a Chutney or Pickle! Batata which refers to potatoes and Poha, flattened rice, this fluffy rice dish is known to be a popular breakfast in Gujarati and Maharashtrian families. Savor the chewy rice with the moist curried potatoes together with the spices used for a savory, sweet and gluten-free meal!
Flattened rice with curried potatoes, whole spices, nuts & berries, and fresh herbs.
Recipe contributed by Chef Teena Arora.
- 1½ cups Poha (thick flattened puﬀed rice)
- 2-3 small potatoes (boiled, skins removed, cubed)
- 2 tbsp oil (coconut, canola or olive)
- 1 tbsp mustard seeds
- 1 tbsp cumin seeds
- ping of Hing (asafetida)
- 1 sprig (10-12) fresh Curry leaves
- 1 onion; diced
- 1½ - 2 tsp salt (to taste)
- ½ tsp turmeric
- 5-6 garlic cloves; chopped
- 1 tsp ginger paste
- ¼ cup peanuts
- ¼ cup cashews
- ¼ cup dried berry blend or golden raisins
- ¼ cup coconut flakes
- fresh juice from 1 lemon (adjust to taste)
- 3 tsp sugar (adjust to taste)
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro leaves; chopped (garnish)
- 1-2 fresh thai green chilies (optional)
- 1 tsp Currysutra Garam masala (garnish)
1. Soak poha (thick flattened puﬀed rice) in water for 20-301.minutes. Then, drain and set aside.
2. Boil potatoes and let cool. Remove skin and cut into cubes.
3. Heat oil in a non-stick skillet on medium-high heat.
4. Add mustard seeds; after 15-30 seconds, add cumin seeds.Add
5. Add hing (asafetida), curry leaves, and onions.
6. Cook for 5-7 minutes.
7. Add salt, turmeric, garlic, and ginger.Add potatoes and stir.8. Add peanuts, cashews, raisins or dried berries and coconut.
8. Add potatoes and stir.
9. Add peanuts, cashews, raisins or dried berries and coconut.
10. Reduce heat to medium. Then, add poha and stir constantly for 5-7 minutes.
11. Add lemon and sugar.
12. Garnish with cilantro, Thai chilies, and garam masala.
Note: It’s recommended to use the thick Poha vs. thin. You can find a package at the nearest Indian grocery store in your locale. For Redwood Shores residents, Namaste Plaza in Belmont is the closest Indian market.
Learn how to make other mouth-watering dishes by Chef Teena in her classes today!
Share your thoughts now.